Help the Government of Canada organize its website!
Complete an anonymous 5-minute questionnaire. Start now.
| Next |
2009 NPRI Reviewed Facility Data Release
On December 20, 2010, Environment Canada published reviewed 2009 data collected from facilities through the National Pollutant Release Inventory (NPRI), following the completion of the Department’s annual NPRI data quality control process. Preliminary data were published in August 2010.
There are a number of important factors to consider when using and interpreting NPRI data. For more information, please review the Considerations when using NPRI data page.
The reviewed data, including information on tailings and waste rock, are available in multiple formats, including an online data search application, map layers for use with Google Earth™, and downloadable datasets.
NPRI 2009 Facility Data Highlights:
- For the 2009 reporting year, 347 substances or substance groups were listed on the NPRI, and over 8400 facilities submitted reports on the substances that they released, disposed of, or sent to other facilities for recycling. In addition, for the first time, facilities were required to report information on pollutant disposals to tailings and waste rock, retroactive to 2006.
- Total releases of pollutants to air, water and land reported to the NPRI decreased 21% between 2003 and 2009, driven by reductions from primary metal smelters and other manufacturing facilities, and fossil fuel electricity-generating stations. Overall decreases were partially offset by increases reported by some facilities (e.g., oil sands operations, due to increased production).
- There was an increase in reported amounts for disposals; however, this increase was primarily due to the new reporting requirements for tailings and waste rock.
Overview of Reviewed 2009 NPRI Data:
- 2009 NPRI Data – What’s New
- Overview of Pollutant Releases, Disposals and Recycling Reported to the NPRI for 2009
- Where are the Facilities that Reported to the NPRI for 2009 Located?
- Pollutant Releases, Disposals and Recycling Reported to the NPRI for 2009
- Overview of Tailings and Waste Rock Data Reported to the NPRI for 2009
Access NPRI Data:
- National Pollutant Release Inventory Online Data Search
- Downloadable Datasets
- NPRI Map Layers for Use with Google Earth™
- NPRI Data and Reports
 Not including emissions of road dust reported to the NPRI. For more information, see the Technical notes page.
| Next |
- Date Modified: