2013-2014 Annual Report to Parliament - Privacy Act
- 1. Organizational Structure
- 2. Delegation of Authority
- 3. Interpretation of the Statistical Report
- 4. Training Activities
- 5. Policies, Guidelines, Procedures and Initiative
- 6. Complaints, Investigations and Federal Court Cases
- 7. Appendix A: Statistical Report
- 8. Appendix B: Designation Order Instrument
The Privacy Act (R.S.C. 1985, c. P-21) came into force on July 1, 1983. The Act governs how the federal government may collect personal information, restricts the use and disclosure of this information, and gives individuals a right to review and correct their personal information. Section 72 requires every head of a federal government institution to submit a report to Parliament on the administration of the Act within their institution during the fiscal year.
This report is submitted in accordance with section 72 of the Act. It presents an overview of activities related to the Privacy Act carried out within Environment Canada during the reporting period April 1, 2013 to March 31, 2014. Further, since the Canada Emission Reduction Incentives Agency was not operational during this reporting period, an Agency report will not be prepared for this period.
The Department of the Environment was established by the Government Reorganization Act (1970-71-72, c. 42) on June 10, 1971. A number of acts and regulations provide the Department with its mandate and allow it to carry out its programs. Under the Department of the Environment Act, the powers, duties and functions of the Minister of the Environment extend to and include matters relating to:
- the preservation and enhancement of the quality of the natural environment, including water, air and soil quality;
- renewable resources, including migratory birds and other non-domestic flora and fauna;
- the enforcement of any rules or regulations made by the International Joint Commission relating to boundary waters; and
- the coordination of the policies and programs of the Government of Canada respecting the preservation and enhancement of the quality of the natural environment.
- Date modified: