On this page, you will find a complete listing of speeches and transcripts issued in the last twelve months. The Speeches Archive, accessible above right, lists speeches and transcripts issued more than twelve months ago.
- Notes for Remarks by Minister of the Environment: Press Conference to Share Results of the Independent Report on Oilsands
I’m pleased to be here today with Elizabeth Dowdeswell, the chair of our advisory panel.
- Country Statement at the 2010 GEO Ministerial Summit Beijing, China November 5, 2010
Mr. Chairman,On behalf of the Government of Canada, I would like to thank the Honourable Dr. WAN and Dr. ZHENG for their leadership, and thank the People’s Republic of China for hosting the GEO-VII Plenary meeting and the 2010 GEO Ministerial Summit.
- Speaking Points The Honourable Jim Prentice, Pc, Qc, Mp Minister of the Environment For the Opening of the High Level Segment at the 10th Meeting of the Conference of the Parties to the Convention for Biological Diversity Nagoya, Japan October 27, 2010
Mr. President, fellow delegates, Canada is a proud supporter of the Convention. As host of the Secretariat for over 15 years, we are pleased to reinforce our global commitment to the conservation and sustainable use of biodiversity.
- Notes for Remarks by The Honourable Jim Prentice, PC, QC, MP, Minister of the Environment, Aichi-Nagoya Ministerial Meeting of the REDD+, Nagoya, Japan, October 26, 2010
Canada is pleased to be participating in this ministerial meeting of the REDD+ Partnership and to be working with all of you to protect the world's forests.
- Speaking Notes for The Honourable Jim Prentice, P.C., Q.C., M.P. Minister of the Environment, Meeting with Quebec’s Minister of Sustainable Development, Environment and Parks Montréal, Québec, October 15, 2010
I’d like to begin by saying what a pleasure it is to be here today in Montréal with Environment Minister Arcand. I am pleased to see the kind of cooperation being established between our two departments because we share a common vision and we will work together in making progress in the files we see as being priorities.
- Speaking Points - The Honourable Jim Prentice, PC, QC, MP Minister of the Environment at the Launch of the Special Climate Prosperity Magazine Issue of Canadian Geographic and Géographica, Ottawa, Ontario, October 5, 2010
I am delighted to mark the launch of this new initiative between the National Round Table on the Environment and the Economy and the Royal Canadian Geographical Society.
- Speaking Points - The Honourable Jim Prentice, Pc, Qc, Mp Minister of the Environment to the Centre of International Governance Innovation Waterloo, Ontario October 1, 2010
Thank you for your introduction, and this opportunity to join The Centre for International Governance for this international conference on climate change. I congratulate CIGI and Jim Balsillie for bringing together such high-level expertise to discuss important international issues.
- Speaking Points - The Honourable Jim Prentice, PC, QC, MP, Minister of the Environment to the Global Business Forum, Banff, Alberta, September 16, 2010
Thank you very much, Doug, for that kind introduction. My dad did play for the Toronto Maple Leafs. He wasn’t there very long, but he did make it. He was barely 17 years of age. He stepped on Dave Pratt’s toe in the dressing room with his skates on and he sent Dave Pratt off to the hospital and sent back to the minors forever. But he did get there.
- Notes for Remarks by The Honourable Jim Prentice, PC, QC, MP Minister of the Environment Round Table – Sustainable Energy Solutions for Mankind and the Planet at the 2010 World Energy Congress (WEC) Montreal, QC September 15, 2010
Good morning everyone. It’s a pleasure to be here today to chair the round table discussion on sustainable energy solutions for mankind and the planet.
- Notes for Remarks by The Honourable Jim Prentice, PC, QC, MP, Minister of the Environment, the Alliance to Save Energy 2010 Evening with the Stars of Energy Efficiency Awards Dinner, Washington, DC, September 14, 2010
Good evening ladies and gentlemen. It is truly an honour to be here this evening to receive this award on behalf of Environment Canada.
- Speaking Points The Honourable Jim Prentice, PC, QC, MP, Minister of the Environment To the Pacific Northwest Region Annual Summit, Calgary, Alberta, July 17, 2010
When I became Canada’s Environment Minister about 18 months ago, I didn’t quite understand at the time just how often I’d end up talking about “alignment.”
- Speaking Notes for the Honourable Jim Prentice, P.C., Q.C., M.P., Minister of the Environment Announcement – Canadashows leadership on climate change and the environment At the National Press Theatre -- Ottawa (Ont.ario) June 23, 2010
Good morning everyone. Thank you for coming. Later this week, the eyes of the world will be turned to Muskoka and Toronto as Prime Minister Stephen Harper hosts word leaders at the G-8 and G-20. With the world watching Canadian leadership right now, it gives me particular pleasure to be here today in order to announce two major Canadian initiatives — one global, one domestic — in the continuing fight against climate change.
- Speaking Notes for the Honourable Jim Prentice, P.C., Q.C., M.P., Minister of the Environment at the Canadian Energy Forum - Ottawa, ON June 15, 2010
Good morning and thank you for the invitation to speak with you here today.
- Speaking Points for the Honourable Jim Prentice, Minister of the Environment Following the Arctic Minister’s Meeting, Ilulissat, Greenland, June 10, 2010
The Arctic is a fundamental part of Canada’s identity – something that’s also true for others here today. It’s an area that’s as important as it is environmentally fragile. That’s why we must continue working together to ensure that the Arctic's fragile environment is protected.
- Notes for Remarks by the Honourable Jim Prentice, P.C., Q.C., M.P., Minister of the Environment, Announcement of EcoAction Community Projects in Prince Edward Island Charlottetown, Prince Edward Island - June 5, 2010
Thank you for joining us for World Environment Day, and for some terrific news for all Islanders to go along with it.
- Speaking Notes for the The Honourable Jim Prentice, P.C., Q.C., M.P., Minister of the Environment, at the Oslo Climate and Forest Conference on Reducing Emissions from Deforestation and Forest Degradation (REDD+) Partnership
Thank you Mr. Chairman, Ministers, ladies and gentlemen. Congratulations firstly to Norway for your leadership on this REDD+ conference and I might say—in that Canada recently hosted the winter Olympics—it’s also a pleasure to be here at the Holmenkollen. Having watched your ski jumpers I am delighted to be here where the world’s best ski jumpers actually train. But if you could extend our congratulations to your Prime Minister also.
- Notes for Remarks by The Honourable Jim Prentice, P.C., Q.C., M.P., minister of the Environment, Announcement of EcoAction Community Projects in Metro Vancouver and Whistler West Vancouver, British Columbia May 22, 2010
Thanks for being here today, everyone. I am really happy to be with you and in this beautiful setting here at Stanley Park, one of the world’s best loved urban parks.
- Notes for Remarks by The Honourable Jim Prentice, P.C., Q.C., M.P., minister of the Environment, Announcement of New Emission Standards for Heavy Trucks
I’m always delighted to be in Vancouver, but this morning I’m especially pleased to be here. I often get to travel as part of my work obviously and I get a full appreciation of the fact that it’s more than 7 200 km from here to St. John’s on our other coast and we see in this dealership today that businesses such as Canadian Tire rely very heavily on heavy duty trucks to maintain inventory, to deliver services and parts to Canadians right across this country.
- Notes for Remarks by the Honourable Jim Prentice, P.C., Q.C., M.P. Minister of the Environment Proposed Regulations to reduce GHGs from New Vehicles
As you know, Canada is committed to reducing its greenhouse gas emissions by 17 percent from 2005 levels by the year 2020. As we put our plan into action, we’re determined that Canadians will enjoy both environmental and economic benefits from fewer emissions. At the same time, we’re equally focused on harmonizing our climate and energy policies with the United States.
- Speaking Points for the Honourable Jim Prentice, Pc, Qc, Mp, Minister of the Environment, to the Mcgill Institute for the Study of Canada Conference. Montreal, Quebec, March 26, 2010
Heather Munroe-Blum joined me in Copenhagen at the Conference of the Parties this past December as an advisor on climate change issues. I know first hand to the value of listening to her and heeding her advice.
- Notes for Remarks by the Honourable Jim Prentice, P.C., Q.C., M.P., Minister of the Environment World Water Day
There’s no question we are blessed in Canada to enjoy the third-largest supply of renewable fresh water in the world.
- Speaking Notes for the Honourable Jim Prentice, PC, QC, MP, minister of the Environment Nature Conservancy of Canada (NCC)
Ladies and gentlemen, there really are three things that you need to know about me as I begin. The first is that although I’m proud and call myself a southern Albertan, I was actually born in a little place in northern Ontario called South Porcupine, as John. And Canada is the kind of country where you can be proud that you’re born in a place called South Porcupine. And everybody in the room gets it and everybody understands the concept that there actually is no North Porcupine. That’s the kind of country we are.
- Speaking Notes for the Honourable Jim Prentice, PC, QC, MP Minister of the Environment to announce offsetting federal carbon emissions
Thank you Paul Kluckner and good morning everyone! Welcome to Library Square! I’m delighted to be joined here this morning by the Honourable John Yap, Minister of State for Climate Action here in British Columbia, who’s doing such an outstanding job for the people of this province.
- Speaking Points the Honourable Jim Prentice, PC, QC, MP, Minister of the Environment
Thank you for joining His Worship, Mayor Henderson, and my colleague, Gord Brown, and me. Today we are taking steps to protect our environment for future generations. This Government thinks to the future. We prepare for the future. And nowhere is that more important than for Canada’s water resources.
- Speaking Points for The Honourable Jim Prentice, PC, QC, MP Minister of the Environment to the Members of the University of Calgary School of Public Policy and the School of Business Calgary, Alberta February 1, 2010
Thank you, ladies and gentlemen, for the invitation to speak with you here today.One of the things about an aggressive travel schedule is that, in addition to testing the durability of your patience and your luggage, italso allows you really to test your assumptions and to provide some fresh perspectives on some of the more familiar icons in your own backyard.
- Notes for Remarks by The Honourable Jim Prentice, .C., Q.C., M.P. Minister of the Environment Weatheroffice.gc.ca & Sustainability Contributions of the Government of Canada to the 2010 Games Vancouver, British Columbia January 28, 2010
As the clock ticks down towards the Vancouver Olympics, I imagine that organizers are thinking a lot about the white stuff—will the weather cooperate, or will the snow machines be working overtime?
- Date Modified: