The 2010 Statistics for the International Movements of Hazardous Waste and Hazardous Recyclable Material

Previous page | Table of contents | Next page

2. Exports

The quantity of hazardous waste and hazardous recyclable material exported increased by 0.5%, from 423 254 tonnes in 2009 to 425 379 tonnes in 2010 (Figure 1). Approximately 96% of all exports of hazardous waste and hazardous recyclable materials were destined to the United States. The bulk of these shipments were managed by facilities in the northeastern and central United States. Of the total quantity exported in 2010, 84% was destined for recycling while the remaining 16% was destined for disposal (Figure 6). In 2010, exports destined for recycling increased 9% from 2009, while those destined for disposal decreased by 9%.

Figure 6
Type of Operation for 2010 Canadian Exports of Hazardous Waste
and Hazardous Recyclable Material

Figure 6 Type of Operation for 2010 Canadian Exports of Hazardous Waste and Hazardous Recyclable Material

Top of page

Spent sulfuric acid, metal and mineral wastes, and wastes from wood preserving chemicals made up the majority of the exports in 2010. Other types of hazardous waste and hazardous recyclable material exports included used oil and its by-products, as well as spent or used lead acid batteries.

The majority of exports of hazardous waste destined for disposal underwent physical or chemical treatment (62%) or blending or mixing prior to their final disposal (15%) (Figure 7). As for the hazardous recyclable materials exported in 2010, the majority was sent in order to regenerate acids or bases (37%), to be used as fuel in an energy recovery system (25%), or to recover metals and metal compounds (24%) (Figure 8).

Figure 7
2010 Canadian Exports of Hazardous Waste by Disposal Operation

Figure 7 2010 Canadian Exports of Hazardous Waste by Disposal Operation

Figure 8
2010 Canadian Exports of Hazardous Recyclable Material by Recycling Operation

Figure 8 2010 Canadian Exports of Hazardous Recyclable Material by Recycling Operation

Top of page

In 2010, exports of hazardous waste and hazardous recyclable material originated from eight provinces, with Ontario and Quebec accounting for 66% of the total quantity (Figure 9). The quantity of hazardous waste and hazardous recyclable material exported remained relatively the same from the previous year for each province. Newfoundland and Labrador, Prince Edward Island and the three territories did not export any hazardous waste or hazardous recyclable material.

Figure 9
Comparison of 2009/2010 Canadian Exports of Hazardous Waste and
Hazardous Recyclable Material by Province

Figure 9 Comparison of 2009/2010 Canadian Exports of Hazardous Waste and Hazardous Recyclable Material by Province

Previous page | Table of contents | Next page