Information identified as archived on the Web is for reference, research or recordkeeping purposes. It has not been altered or updated after the date of archiving. Web pages that are archived on the Web are not subject to the Government of Canada Web Standards. As per the Communications Policy of the Government of Canada, you can request alternate formats on the Contact Us page.
Use of quantification methodologies that are consistent with the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change (IPCC) Guidelines for the preparation of national inventories are encouraged and the most accurate quantification methodology should be used when available.
- 2006 Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change (IPCC) Guidelines for National Greenhouse Gas Inventories - Revised 1996 guidelines that include new sources and gases as well as updates to the previously published methods in cases where scientific and technical knowldge has improved
- Revised 1996 Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change (IPCC) Guidelines for National Greenhouse Gas Inventories - Contains step-by-step instructions for calculating greenhouse gas emissions from six major emission source categories for national inventories
Other useful souces of information about the quantification of greenhouse gas emissions related to an inventory, project, or product include:
- CSA Standards: CAN/CSA – ISO 14064-1: 2006 - Specification with guidance at the organication level for quantification and reporting of greenhouse gas emissions and removals adopted without modification from the identically titled International Organization for Standardization (ISO) Standard - ISO 14064-1:2006
- CSA Standards: CAN/CSA - ISO 14064-2: 2006 - Specification with guidance at the project level for quantification, monitoring and reporting of greenhouse gas emission reductions or removals enhancements (adopted without modification of the identically titled ISO Standard 14064-2:2006)
- The Greenhouse Gas Protocol: A Corporate Accounting and Reporting Standard (Revised Edition) - A step-by-step guide for companies to use in quantifying and reporting their greenhouse gas emissions
- Publicly Available Specification (PAS) 2050 - Assessing the life cycle greenhouse gas emissions of goods and services - Provides methods to quantify and report on the embodied greenhouse gas emissions in goods and services
- Date Modified: