Reporting to the Greenhouse Gas Emissions Reporting Program
Under the authority of Section 46 of the Canadian Environmental Protection Act, 1999 (CEPA 1999), operators of facilities that meet the criteria specified in the annual notice with respect to reporting of greenhouse gases (GHGs), published in the Canada Gazette, are required to report facility GHG emissions to Environment Canada by the annual June 1st reporting deadline.
The Notice with respect to reporting of greenhouse gases (GHGs) for 2014, which requires the reporting of 2014 GHG emissions data, was published in the Canada Gazette Part I on October 11th, 2014. There are no changes to the reporting requirements from last year. Companies that reported their facility emissions in the previous year must inform Environment Canada if their facility(ies) does not meet the current year reporting criteria. Updated technical guidance is also available to support facilities in reporting their 2014 emissions.
Environment Canada’s Single Window system consists of a central web tool called the Single Window Information Manager (SWIM), where reporters can manage organizational information and which connects to a series of reporting modules that support various partner programs, including Environment Canada’s Greenhouse Gas Emissions Reporting Program. The Government of Canada GCKey Service or Sign-In Partners is used to log into the Single Window system. The Single Window system streamlines the reporting to national and various provincial jurisdictions, thus helping to reduce the reporting burden and the overall costs to governments. Provincial partners using this system for GHG reporting include Alberta, British Columbia and Ontario.
See Related Resources for additional information.
Previous years' reporting requirements can be found under GHGRP Notices - Canada Gazette, Part I. Key changes that were made to federal reporting requirements in previous years included:
- updates to the Global Warming Potential (GWP) values that facilities are required to use to assess whether they meet the 50-kilotonne (kt) carbon dioxide equivalent (CO2 eq.) reporting threshold and in reporting their emissions (issued in the 2013 Notice);
- a requirement to report facility latitude and longitude information (except pipeline transportation systems) (issued in the 2013 Notice);
- a reduction of the reporting threshold from 100 kilotonne (kt) to 50 kt of CO2 eq. (issued in the 2009 Notice);
- the disaggregation of the reporting category Venting and Flaring Emissions to two separate categories, Venting Emissions and Flaring Emissions (issued in the 2009 Notice); and
- the disaggregation of the reporting category Waste and Wastewater Emissions to two separate categories, Waste Emissions and Wastewater Emissions (issued in the 2009 Notice).
The following links provide guidance for reporting to the Greenhouse Gas Emissions Reporting Program:
- Instructions for using Environment Canada's Single Window system (updated March 19, 2015) - This document provides step by step instructions on how to report your greenhouse gas information using the Single Window system.
- Technical Guidance on Reporting Greenhouse Gas Emissions (updated October 15th, 2014) - This document contains a comprehensive overview of the reporting requirements, including guidance for potential reporters to help determine if they are required to submit a report, the greenhouse gases and emission sources subject to reporting, along with information on methods for calculating emissions and the required reporting format.
- Greenhouse Gas Emissions Quantification Guidance - Access sector-specific guidance manuals, global warming potentials and conversion factors.
GHGRP Notices - Canada Gazette, Part I
Under Environment Canada's Greenhouse Gas Emissions Reporting Program, a notice is published every year in Part I of the Canada Gazette, outlining the GHG reporting requirements for the corresponding calendar year.
|Notice with respect to reporting of greenhouse gases for: (calendar year)||Date Published||Links to Original Documents (HTML)||Links to Original Documents (PDF)|
|2014||October 11, 2014||HTML|
|2013||November 2, 2013||HTML|
|2012||September 22, 2012||HTML|
|2011||October 1, 2011||HTML|
August 14, 2010
May 14, 2011
|2009||July 11, 2009||HTML|
|2008||February 16, 2008||HTML|
|2007||March 3, 2007|
|2006||July 15, 2006|
March 12, 2005
March 19, 2005
March 13, 2004
March 27, 2004
- Date Modified: