Data and Science
Looking for environmental data? Use the links below to search through a variety of data warehouses to find the information you need.
Great Lakes Data and Science
- Great Lakes Precipitation Network - The Great Lakes Precipitation Network holds a unique and extensive data set on chemical contaminants in precipitation for the Canadian Great Lakes Basin.
- Great Lakes Surveillance Program - The Great Lakes Surveillance Program has monitored water quality in the Great Lakes for over 40 years. The main objectives are to ensure compliance with water quality objectives, evaluate water quality trends and identify emerging issues.
- Integrated Atmospheric Deposition Network - The Integrated Atmospheric Deposition Network was established by the United States and Canada for conducting air and precipitation monitoring in the Great Lakes Basin.
- Great Lakes Water Levels and Related Data - Information on Great Lakes water levels is available from several agencies in the United States and Canada. This Web page contains links to a number of links to official Web sites containing Great Lakes water level and related data.
- Great Lakes Sediment Database - The Great Lakes Sediment Database (also know as the National Water Research Institute Sediment Archive) is an archive of data on the sediments of the Great Lakes, their connecting channels, and the St. Lawrence River which was collected by National Water Research Institute and in cooperation with other agencies between 1968 and 2001.
- Great Lakes Science Center - Provides scientific information for restoring, enhancing protecting and managing living resources and their habitats in the Great Lakes Basin.
- Great Lakes-St. Lawrence Research Inventory - This Research Inventory provides guidance, support and evaluation of Great Lakes research programs with particular reference to programs required or funded pursuant to the provisions of Great Lakes Water Quality Agreement.
National Data and Science
- National Fish Contaminants Monitoring and Surveillance Program - The purpose of the Fish Contaminants Monitoring and Surveillance Program is to survey collectively, the concentration of contaminants in selected species of fish and other biota with the specific objective of determining environmental trends in contaminant levels and to relate these to sources of such pollution, the effectiveness of remedial actions, and the risk to fish and fish-consuming wildlife in aquatic ecosystems across Canada.
- National Pesticides Monitoring and Surveillance Network - The National Pesticides Monitoring and Surveillance Network was established in 2003 to study, evaluate and report on pesticides and their transformation products to support Environment Canada’s freshwater ecosystem approach to watershed management.
- Pharmaceuticals and Personal Care Products Surveillance Network - The Pharmaceuticals and Personal Care Products Surveillance Network operated by Environment Canada is designed to study the status of Pharmaceuticals and Personal Care Product pollutants, such as acidic and neutral drugs, in surface waters in Canada. The Network supports Environment Canada’s freshwater ecosystem approach to watershed management.
- National Pollutant Release Inventory - The National Pollutant Release Inventory is Canada's legislated, publicly accessible inventory of pollutant releases (to air, water and land), disposals and transfers for recycling.
- Canadian Aquatic Biomonitoring Network - The Canadian Aquatic Biomonitoring Network is an aquatic biological monitoring program for assessing the health of freshwater ecosystems in Canada.
- Water Survey of Canada - The Water Survey of Canada is the national authority responsible for the collection, interpretation and dissemination of standardize water resource data and information in Canada.
- Municipal Water and Wastewater Survey - The Municipal Water and Wastewater Survey is a survey of all Canadian municipalities with population over 1000 and a sample of those with population under 1000 (excluding First Nations communities). Data is collected on water sources, water use, water conservation, wastewater treatment level and water and wastewater pricing at the municipal level.
- National Water Research Institute - EC's National Water Research Institute is the largest freshwater research entity in Canada.
- Canadian Ice Service - Canada's leading source of ice information.
- Tide and Water Levels - Fisheries and Oceans Canada's historical tide and water level data archive presently holds over 500 million records with the earliest dating back before the turn of the century.
- National Climate Data and Information Archive - Contains official climate and weather observations for Canada, as well as other climate related products such as CD-ROMs and climate normals and averages.
- North American Breeding Bird Survey - The North American Breeding Bird Survey is an avian survey designed to collect long-term data on the population status and trends of breeding birds throughout North America. the BBS is coordinated in Canada by the Canadian Wildlife Service, National Wildlife Research Centre, and in the United States by the US Geological Survey, Patuxent Wildlife Research Center.
- National Harvest Survey - The National Harvest Survey is the joint name for two surveys sent annually to a sample of purchasers of the Migratory Game Bird Hunting Permit introduced by the federal government in 1966. These two surveys are the Harvest Questionnaire Survey and the Species Composition Survey. Data from these and other CWS surveys are used to assess the status of migratory game bird populations in Canada, their productivity, survival rates, and amount of harvest they can sustain.
- Atlas of Canada - Various maps on the topics of Environment, People & Society, Economic, Historical, Reference Maps, Climate Change, Freshwater, Health.
- Canadian Ecodistrict Climate Normals 1961-1990 - GIS database of Climate Normals for Ecodistricts in Canada.
- Geobase - The GeoBase portal provides access to geospatial data at no cost, i.e. Administrative Boundaries, Canadian Digital Elevation Data, Canadian Geodetic Network, Geographical Names of Canada (toponymy), Landsat-7 Orthoimage, National Road Network.
- GeoConnections Discovery Portal - The GeoConnections Discovery Portal enables Geographic Information Systems' users, developers, data and service suppliers to find, evaluate, visualize, and publish Canadian geospatial data products and services.
- Geographical Names of Canada - Use the Canadian Geographic Names database to query over 500 000 records containing map and feature type data.
- GeoGratis - GeoGratis is a portal provided by the Earth Sciences Sector of Natural Resources Canada which provides geospatial data at no cost and without restrictions via your Web browser.
- US National Water Quality Assessment Program - Chemical, biological and physical water quality data from 42 basins across the US
- Date modified: