Help the Government of Canada organize its website!
Complete an anonymous 5-minute questionnaire. Start now.
This page contains links to non-Environment Canada sites. Please note that Environment Canada has no control over the quality of the content on these non-departmental sites. The links are provided simply as a service. Environment Canada is not responsible for incorrect or misleading data in these sites.
- Government of Canada Information on Pollution and Substances of Concern
- Provincial and Regional Pollutant Inventories
- International Pollutant Release and Transfer Register (PRTR) Resources
- Tailings and Waste Rock
- Other Substance Information Resources
Government of Canada Information on Pollution and Substances of Concern
- Canada's Greenhouse Gas (GHG) Emissions - Monitoring, Reporting and Verification of Greenhouse Gas Sources and Sinks.
- Chemical Substances Portal - Information on Canada's Chemical Management Plan, which will improve the degree of protection against hazardous chemicals. The Plan includes a number of new, proactive measures to make sure that chemical substances are managed properly.
- Air- Information on Environment Canada's efforts to reduce air pollution and better understand its levels, causes and sources.
- Management of Toxic Substances - Information on toxic substances managed under The Canadian Environmental Protection Act, 1999 (CEPA 1999) and related policies and plans, including The Chemicals Management Plan and the Toxic Substances Management Policy.
- Canadian Pollution Prevention Information Clearinghouse - Information for Canadians to inform themselves and take action on pollution prevention.
- Air Quality Health Index - A public information tool that helps Canadians protect their health on a daily basis from the negative effects of air pollution.
- National Air Pollution Surveillance Network - Map of the National Air Pollution Surveillance stations.
- RésEau - Building Canadian Water Connections - RésEau provides easy access to water information from many jurisdictions across Canada.
- Pest Management Regulatory Agency - Health Canada's Pest Management Regulatory Agency (PMRA) is the federal agency responsible for the regulation of pest control products in Canada.
- Wastewater- Information on the effects of wastewater effluents on the environment and the steps Environment Canada is taking to address this source of pollution.
- Federal Contaminated Sites - Information on federal contaminated sites, which are contaminated sites owned or leased by the federal government, or sites where the federal government has accepted full responsibility for the contamination.
Provincial and Regional Pollutant Inventories
- Alberta Environment* - Access the Alberta Environment air emissions inventory.
- Ontario Ministry of the Environment (MOE) - Ontario Regulation 127/01: Airborne Contaminant Discharge Monitoring and Reporting.
- Metro Vancouver* - For the entire region of the Lower Fraser Valley, detailed emission inventories for common air contaminants are compiled at least every five years.
- Government of British Columbia Air Quality* - Access air emission inventories for British Columbia.
- Gouvernement du Québec, Développement durable, Environnement et Parcs * - Air and climate change.
International Pollutant Release and Transfer Register (PRTR) Resources
- PRTR.net - Provides a global portal to Pollutant Release and Transfer Register (PRTR) information and activities from countries and organizations around the world. The Web site aims to assist countries in the development, implementation and improvement of PRTR programmes.
- Commission for Environmental Cooperation - North American Pollutant Release and Transfer Register - Compiles and disseminates information on the amounts, sources, and management of toxic contaminants from industrial activities in North America.
- Environment Agency of England and Wales - Pollution Inventory* - Collects information on releases of pollutants and transfers of waste off-site from businesses regulated by the Environment Agency in England and Wales.
- Australia's Department of the Environment and Heritage - National Pollutant Inventory* - Provides Australians with free access to information on the types and amounts of pollutants being emitted in their community.
- The European Pollutant Emission Register (EPER) - European-wide register of industrial emissions into air and water.
- Organization for Economic Cooperation and Development (OECD) - In recent years, the public's "right to know" has moved to the forefront of environmental policy making, and OECD is supporting governments' response by helping them develop registries of releases and transfers of pollutants to the environment, called PRTRs.
- United Nations Environment Programme (UNEP) - Pollutant Release and Transfer Registers* - Offers information about Pollutant Release and Transfer Registers from many sources. It also provides links to other Web sites containing PRTR data.
- U.S. Environmental Protection Agency - Toxics Release Inventory* - A publicly available Environmental Protection Agency database that contains information on toxic chemical releases and other waste management activities reported annually by certain covered industry groups as well as federal facilities.
- Industry Associations
Tailing and Waste Rock
Government of Canada sites
- Environment Canada – Metal Mining Environmental Effects Monitoring
- Natural Resources Canada – Mine Waste Management
- Natural Resources Canada – Mine Environment Neutral Drainage
- Natural Resources Canada – Oil Sands and Heavy Oil Extraction and Tailings Research
- Natural Resources Canada – Partnerships for Sustainable Development
- Canadian Environmental Assessment Agency
- Indian and Northern Affairs Canada – Citizen’s Guide to Mining in the Northwest Territories
Other Environmental Sites
- e3Plus: A Framework for Responsible Exploration
- Prospectors & Developers Association of Canada – Good Practice Guidelines for the Mineral Industry
- National Orphaned/Abandoned Mines Initiative
- The Mining Association of Canada
- Canadian Aboriginal Minerals Association
- Canadian Institute of Mining, Metallurgy and Petroleum
- Canadian Association of Petroleum Producers
Provincial and Territorial Mining Associations
Northwest Territories and Nunavut:
Newfoundland and Labrador:
Other Substance Information Resources
- Agency for Toxic Substances and Disease Registry (ASTDR)* - An agency of the U.S. Department of Health and Human Service that serves the public by using the best science, taking responsive public health actions and providing trusted health information to prevent harmful exposures and diseases related to toxic substances.
- U.S. National Toxicology Program* - An interagency program whose mission is to evaluate agents of public health concern by developing and applying tools of modern toxicology and molecular biology.
- INCHEM - Chemical Safety Information from Intergovernmental Organizations* - A means of rapid access to internationally peer reviewed information on chemicals commonly used throughout the world, which may also occur as contaminants in the environment and food.
* As the organizations that maintain these sites may not be subject to the Official Languages Act , the information found may be presented only in the language in which it was written.
- Date Modified: