Dental Amalgam Waste
Pollution Prevention Planning Notices
Notice Regarding Pollution Prevention Planning in Respect of Mercury Releases from Dental Amalgam Waste
On May 8, 2010, Environment Canada published a Notice under Part 4 of the Canadian Environmental Protection Act, 1999 (CEPA 1999) outlining requirements to prepare and implement pollution prevention plans for mercury releases from dental amalgam waste.
The Notice, published in the Canada Gazette, Part I, targets dental facilities that have not implemented all of the best management practices set out in Appendix A of the Notice or in the Memorandum of Understanding Respecting the Implementation of the Canada-wide Standard on Mercury for Dental Amalgam Waste (document available upon request) between the Canadian Dental Association and Environment Canada for the voluntary implementation of the Canada-wide Standard on Mercury for Dental Amalgam Waste.
- Notice Regarding Pollution Prevention Planning in Respect of Mercury Releases from Dental Amalgam Waste (HTML) (PDF; 731 KB)
A fact sheet emphasizing key points, combining relevant dates and explaining in greater details specific requirements of the Notice is available upon request.
For all technical inquiries regarding the content of this Notice, please contact:
For inquiries regarding reporting and pollution prevention practices, please contact:
Regulatory Innovation and Management Systems
c/o Innovative Measures Section
351 St-Joseph Blvd., 20th Floor
Gatineau, Quebec K1A 0H3
Telephone (toll free): 1-844-580-3637
Fax: 819-420-7386 / 1-844-580-3638
Pollution Prevention Planning Notice Toolkit
- Report Online for Notice
- Instructions for Completing the Schedules
- Information related to the Notification of Non-Engagement Form
- Requests for Time Extension Granted by Environment Canada
- Reporting Forms
- Proposed Notice (published in the Canada Gazette, Part I, Saturday, April 18, 2009; Vol. 143, No. 16, p. 1053)
- Date modified: