North American Bird Banding manual - volume 1
The banding manual is the key reference for banders. It provides information on band types, sizes, numbering system, transferring bands and codes. The manual can be accessed on the USGS Bird Banding Lab website.
NABC training manuals
The North American Banding Council (NABC) is a non-profit group encompassing bird research organizations whose members use bird banding as a tool in ornithological research, conservation, and management. The mission of the NABC is to promote sound and ethical bird-banding practices and techniques. To accomplish this, the NABC has developed educational and training materials, including manuals on general banding techniques and techniques manuals for specialized taxonomic groups.
The NABC also offers bander certification at the bander and trainer levels. The banding office encourages banders to continue to develop their skills and become certified. Please visit the NABC website for more information and certification sessions near you.
The following manuals are available in English, French and Spanish and can be downloaded from the NABC website:
- The North American Banders’ Study Guide
- The North American Banders’ Manual for Banding Passerines and Near Passerines (Excluding Hummingbirds and Owls)
- The North American Banders’ Manual for Raptor Banding Techniques
- The North American Bander’s Manual for Banding Shorebirds (Charadriiformes, suborder Charadrii)
- The North American Banders’ Manual for Banding Hummingbirds
- The North American Banders’ Manual for Banding at Nest Boxes
- The Instructor’s Guide to Training Passerine Bird Banders in North America
- Mist Netting with the Public - A guide for communicating science through bird banding.
Banders and trainees should be familiar with a number of reference documents including (but not limited to):
- Piranga: A bird-bander’s aid to identifying, ageing and sexing birds of the Western hemisphere
- The Use and Application of Hard Metal Bands
- Pyle, Peter. 1997. The Identification Guide to North American Birds Part I, Columbidae to Ploceidae. Slate Creek Press, Bolinas CA.
- Errata for The Identification Guide to North American Birds: Part I
- Pyle, Peter. 2008. The Identification Guide to North American Birds Part II, Annatidae to Alcidae Columbidae to Ploceidae. Slate Creek Press, Bolinas CA.
- Froehlich, Dan. Ageing North American Landbirds by Molt Limits and Plumage Criteria: A Photographic Companion to the Identification Guide to North American Birds, Part 1. Slate Creek Press, Bolinas CA.
- Carney, Samuel M. Species, Age and Sex Identification of Ducks Using Wing Plumage. US Fish and Wildlife Service, Washington DC.
- Duck Banding, video by Norm North, available in French and English. Canadian waterfowl banders may obtain copies from the Bird Banding Office.
- Pan American Shorebird Marking Protocol. Available in French and English, on the WHSRN website or from the Bird Banding Office.
- Canadian Atlas of Bird Banding
- North American Bird Banding Manual
- Guidelines on the care and use of wildlife (Canadian Council on Animal Care)
- CCAC Species-Specific Recommendations on Birds (Canadian Council on Animal Care)
- Guidelines to the Use of Wild Birds in Research (Ornithological Council)
- Date modified: