Contact Dr. Claude Girard:
AWARDS / EDUCATION
Ph. D., Meteorology, University of Toronto, 1973
Andrew Thomson price 1973 in Applied Meteorology of the Canadian Meteorological and Oceanographical Society (CMOS)
Dr. Claude Girard
CURRENT S&T / RESEARCH - Research in numerical weather prediction from the local to the global scale, and for time scales ranging from minutes to seasons
- Numerical methods for atmosphere and ocean and their efficient implementation on parallel supercomputers
- Development of vertical discretization schemes for the equations used in atmospheric modelling
- Study of vertical coordinates to be used in atmospheric and oceanic modelling
- Study of the stability of numerical schemes used in forecasting and climate modelling
- Development of various schemes to parameterize unresolved physical effects in atmospheric models
Girard, C., R. Benoit and M. Desgagné. 2005. Finescale Topography and the MC2 Dynamics Kernel. Mon. Wea. Rev. 133:1463-1477.
Bélair, S., J. Mailhot, C. Girard and P. Vaillancourt. 2005. Boundary Layer and Shallow Cumulus Clouds in a Medium-Range Forecast of a Large-Scale Weather System. Mon. Wea. Rev. 133:1938-1960.
Staniforth, A., N. Wood and C. Girard. 2003. Energy and energy-like invariants for deep non-hydrostatic atmospheres. Q. J. R. Meteorol. Soc. 129:3495-3499.
Schär, C., D. Leuenberger, O. Fuhrer, D. Lüthi and C. Girard. 2002. A new terrain-following vertical coordinate formulation for high-resolution numerical weather prediction models. Mon. Wea. Rev. 130:2459-2480.
Girard, C. and Y. Delage. 1990. Stable schemes for non-linear vertical diffusion in atmospheric circulation models. Mon. Wea. Rev. 118:737-745.
Laprise, R. and C. Girard. 1990. A Spectral General Circulation Model using a Piecewise Constant Finite-Element Representation on a Hybrid Vertical Coordinate System. Journal of Climate. 3:32-52.
- Date modified: