This page has been archived on the Web
Information identified as archived is provided for reference, research or recordkeeping purposes. It is not subject to the Government of Canada Web Standards and has not been altered or updated since it was archived. Please contact us to request a format other than those available.
Acrylonitrile is not produced in Canada but is imported and used as a monomer/reactant in applications such as the production of styrene-acrylonitrile (SAN) foams and polymers, acrylic emulsions and diamines. In 2008, it is estimated that 5900 metric tonnes of acrylonitrile were imported in Canada, all of which were imported from the United States. There are no known natural sources of acrylonitrile.
CAS (Chemical Abstract Service) registry number: 107-13-1
- Priority Substances List Assessment Report
- Order Adding Toxic Substances to Schedule 1 to the Canadian Environmental Protection Act, 1999
- CEPA 1999 Schedule 1 - List of Toxic Substances - This substance has been added to the List of Toxic Substances. It is entering or may enter the environment in a quantity or concentration or under conditions that:
c) constitute or may constitute a danger in Canada to human life or health.
- Full life cycle management of the substance (Track 2) under the Toxic Substances Management Policy
This substance is entering the environment from the following source(s):
Risk Management Strategy
Click on the following link to view strategies and actions recommended to manage risks associated with the substance:
- Update to the Risk Management Strategy for Acrylonitrile, 2010
- Risk Management Strategy for Acrylonitrile, 2002 (Archived)
Risk Management Tool(s)
Tool(s) developed to manage risks associated with the substance:
- National Pollutant Release Inventory (NPRI) - Information Centre
- North American Commission for Environmental Cooperation Web Site
Substances Management Information Line
Chemicals Management Plan
Gatineau, QC K1A 0H3
Telephone: 1-800-567-1999 (in Canada) or 819-938-3232
- Date modified: