Apply for export permit

Information about importing hazardous wastes and hazardous recyclable materials to Canada
Environment and Climate Change Canada


Who can apply

Applicants for a permit to export hazardous wastes (HW) or hazardous recyclable materials (HRM) must be a resident of Canada or, in the case of a corporation, have a place of business in Canada and must also:

  • be the owner or operator of the facility from which the HW or HRM is exported, or
  • buy or sell HRM for the purposes of recycling and exports it to a country that is subject to OECD Decision C (2001)107/Final

Submission requirements

  • Submit the notice form, which addresses all requirements under Section 8 of the Regulations.
  • The Notice must identify only one shipping facility in Canada as the Consignor, and one receiving facility in the country of import as the Consignee. If the receiving facility is not performing the final disposal or recycling operation, any other authorized facility that will perform the final operation must be listed.
  • The Notice must address either wastes or recyclables, not both.
  • Different types of hazardous wastes or hazardous recyclables may be listed in a single Notice.
  • HW and HRM must be properly identified per the Waste Classification User Guide.
  • Insurance company name and policy number.
  • A signed contract(s) between the exporter, importer, and all authorized facilities must accompany the application.

Roles and responsibilities of permit holders

The Canadian exporter is responsible for applying for the permit, and for ensuring fulfilment of all terms of the permit from the time the HW or HRM leave their place of origin to the time they are recycled or disposed of in the country of destination.

If the HW or HRM cannot be disposed or recycled in accordance with the permit, the exporter must inform the Minister of Environment and Climate Change Canada and ensure return to Canada or rerouting of the HW or HRM to an authorized facility for disposal or recycling in the country where the shipment was refused. Permit requirements are fulfilled only once confirmation of disposal or recycling is received from the importer or once the return has been completed.


The Regulations require a contract(s) to be signed among the Canadian exporter, the foreign receiver and the authorized facilities that:

  • contains the same information and details regarding the HW or HRM, and the importer, exporter, authorized facilities as stated in, the permit application,
  • requires the foreign receiver:
    • to complete Part C of the movement document, OR that:
    • authorizes the exporter to complete Part C if the importing country does not consider the waste or recyclables to be hazardous
  • requires the foreign receiver to:
    • provide copies of the completed movement document and export permit to the Canadian exporter once the exported material is received by the authorized facility
    • dispose or recycle the HW or HRM within the time limits required by the Regulations
    • provide written confirmation to the exporter of material disposal or recycling within 30 days of it being completed, and
    • take all practicable measures to assist the Canadian exporter to fulfil its obligations under the regulations
  • requires the Canadian exporter to take the following actions if the authorized facility cannot or refuses to manage the HW or HRM in accordance with the permit:
    • notify the Minister and the foreign receiver of the situation and the reason for it
    • if necessary, store the HW or HRM in an alternative authorized facility, and
    • within 90 days of notifying the Minister or another agreed upon period:
      • arrange to dispose or recycle the HW or HRM in the country of import at an alternative facility and provide the Minister with the details of that facility, or
      • return the HW or HRM to the Canadian facility from which it was exported
    • obtain confirmation from the Minister that the alternative facility is an authorized facility according to local authorities prior to rerouting the hazardous wastes or recyclables
  • requires the Canadian exporter to take the same actions identified above if the country of import or transit does not accept the imported hazardous wastes or recyclables

Refer to paragraph 9(f) of the Regulations for detailed contract requirements, which reference paragraphs 9(p) and 9(q) for the clauses required to address the rerouting and return of hazardous wastes and hazardous recyclables.


Section 37 of the Regulations require liability insurance to ensure that resources are available to provide a timely and appropriate means of dealing with an accident or other incident that may occur. Insurance may also be required by foreign governments/authorities--this should be confirmed prior to submitting a Notice. Do not submit copies of insurance policies unless they are required by the authorities of the importing country.

Coverage must include:

  • any damages to third parties for which the exporter, importer or authorized carrier is responsible; and
  • any costs imposed by law on the exporter, importer or authorized carrier to clean up releases to the environment.

The amount of liability insurance required for each shipment is:

  • at least $5,000,000 for hazardous waste;
  • at least $1,000,000 for hazardous recyclable material; and
  • for authorized carriers, the amount required by the laws of the jurisdiction in which the HW or HRM are transported.

Insurance must cover liability from the time the HW or HRM leave the exporter’s facility to the time an authorized facility accepts delivery of the HW or HRM for disposal or recycling in the country of import, or in Canada if the hazardous wastes or recyclables are returned.

Use e-Notification

The e-Notification and Permitting system allows organizations and individuals to use a Government of Canada key (GCKey) to access information and submit applications and other documents using the ECCC Single Window Information Management system (SWIM.)

Once inside SWIM, you can access e-Notification to apply for permits under the Export and Import of Hazardous Wastes and Hazardous Recyclables Material Regulations.

To obtain a GCKey:

  • Go to Environment Canada’s Single Window web site.
  • The first screen on the Single Window web site provides two options to sign in.
  • Click on “Register for a new GCKey”.
  • Follow the instructions on the screens.
  • Once you have finished, press “Continue”. You are now logged into SWIM.

Detailed instructions for using e-Notification can be found below and in the e-Notification user guide.

Step 1: Sign in to Environment Canada’s Single Window and Create Your Profiles

Step 2: Launch the Online Notification and Permit System

Step 3: Choose Option A or Option B for Submitting Your Notices

Step 4: Manage My Info

Step 5: Start New Single Notice

Step 6: Complete the Notice

Step 7: Submit the Notice

Step 8: Submitting a Bulk Upload

Start e-notification

Contact us

By mail

Waste Reduction and Management Division
351 St. Joseph Boulevard, 9th Floor
Gatineau, QC K1A 0H3


Notice 819-938-4553
Movements 819-938-4554

By phone

Notice 1-844-524-5295
Movements 1-844-524-5295

Guides and help

Contact us

Related services and information

Service standard

Related programs

Date modified: