Canada-Ontario Agreement on Great Lakes Water Quality and Ecosystem Health, 2014
- Priority - Protecting Waters
- Annex 1: Nutrients
- Annex 2: Harmful Pollutants
- Annex 3: Discharges from Vessels
- Priority – Improving Wetlands, Beaches and Coastal Areas
- Annex 4: Areas of Concern
- Annex 5: Lakewide Management
- Priority – Protecting Habitat and Species
- Annex 6: Aquatic Invasive Species
- Annex 7: Habitat and Species
- Priority – Enhancing Understanding and Adaptation
- Annex 8: Groundwater Quality
- Annex 9: Climate Change Impacts
- Annex 10: Science
- Priority – Promoting Innovation and Engaging Communities
- Annex 11: Promoting Innovation
- Annex 12: Engaging Communities
- Annex 13: Engaging First Nations
- Annex 14: Engaging Métis
ANNEX 14: ENGAGING MÉTIS
Canada and Ontario work with Métis on a good governance basis on a wide range of environmental protection issues. Through this Agreement, there are numerous opportunities for Métis, as members of the broader Great Lakes community, to participate in Great Lakes restoration, protection and conservation initiatives. The purpose of this Annex is to reflect the interests and important role of Métis as participants in the restoration, protection and conservation of the Great Lakes. It will provide a framework for Canada and Ontario to engage Métis during the implementation of this Agreement and to consider their traditional knowledge to assist in restoring, protecting and conserving Great Lakes water quality and ecosystem health.
This Annex supports commitments in the Canada-United States Great Lakes Water Quality Agreement and advances the environmental goals of Ontario’s Great Lakes Strategy. Goals within this Annex are intended to continue collaboration, strengthen relationships and to pursue opportunities to protect the Great Lakes.
Goal 1: Collaborate and build relationships with Métis to assist in restoring, protecting and conserving Great Lakes water quality and ecosystem health.
Result 1.1 – Opportunities to collaborate with Métis in the delivery of this Agreement.
Canada and Ontario will:
- (a) Invite Métis to meet annually with COA Executive Committee co-chairs to discuss Great Lakes issues, as well as priorities and actions planned to achieve COA goals;
- (b) Invite Métis to participate in existing engagement processes that help support Annex-specific issues including those related to harmful pollutants; Lakewide Action and Management Plans; Lake Ecosystem Objectives and a nearshore framework; phosphorus concentration and load reduction targets; Lake-specific Biodiversity Conservation Strategies; and, in other issue-specific engagement processes that may arise during the implementation of this Agreement; and
- (c) Identify and support a pilot project or projects to demonstrate the use of traditional knowledge in contributing to understanding and addressing Great Lakes issues.
- Date modified: